The Congress headquarters hotel is the Embassy Suites Alexandria—Old Town, located directly across the Metro tracks from the Masonic Memorial. Special room rates have been arranged for Congress participants.
The headquarters hotel will host the registration desk and Welcome Reception, serve as the meeting and drop-off place for tours, and may host evening meetings.
Among its special benefits, the Embassy Suites offers a full breakfast at no additional charge—saving Congress participants time and expense. Its suites have two separate sleeping areas—so participants can easily share rooms and reduce their costs. See the Congress registration form to indicate an interest in sharing rooms.
Special Congress rates at differing price levels are also available at other hotels nearby: the Hotel Monaco Alexandria, the Lorien Hotel & Spa, and the Comfort Inn Alexandria. Rooms may not be available if reserved after 30 June 2011.
Of course, Congress participants may stay anywhere they like, but most will likely stay at these hotels for camaraderie.
Note that all room rates quoted below do not include local tax of 9 to 11.5 percent. For opportunities to share hotel rooms, contact the congress registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The free King Street Trolley runs from the base of King Street to the Metro Station and back every 20 minutes from 11:30 AM to 10:00 PM.
Embassy Suites—Alexandria Old Town [Headquarters Hotel]
1900 Diagonal Road, Alexandria, VA 22314 | (703) 684-5900
Reservations: 800-362-2779 [800-Embassy]; Group Code CVN (or North American Vexillological Association)
Online Booking: Available now at this webpage.
- Rate: $175/night for up to four people. Registrants are encouraged to share rooms.
- Room: Two-room suite; one room has a fold-out double sofa-bed.
- Breakfast: Full breakfast included.
- Location: Next to the King Street Metro Station.
- Walking distance to Masonic Memorial: 0.5 mi. / 0.8 km.
- Shuttle: To/from Masonic Memorial (take Metro from DCA airport).
1600 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 | (703) 894-3434
Reservations: (800) 546-7866 [800-Kimpton] Ask for NAVA-24ICV.
Online Booking: Available now at this webpage; Group Code: 16801000460
- Rate: $130/night for up to two people, $150 for three, $170 for four.
- Room: King or Double deluxe room.
- Breakfast: Coffee & tea service included.
- Location: One block east of the Embassy Suites, on the corner of King & Peyton.
- Walking distance to Masonic Memorial: 0.9 mi. / 1.4 km.
- Shuttle: To/from Masonic Memorial and to/from DCA Airport.
480 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 | (703) 549-6080
The Hotel Monaco stands on the site of the Marshall House, where the first martyrs to the Union and Confederate causes (Col. Elmer E. Ellsworth and innkeeper James W Jackson) died on 24 May 1861.
Reservations: (800) 546-7866 [800-Kimpton] Ask for NAVA – 24ICV.
Online Booking: Available now at this webpage; Group Code: 11580101897
- Rate: $125/night for up to two people, $145 for three, $165 for four.
- Room: King or double deluxe room.
- Breakfast: Coffee & tea service included.
- Location: In the center of Old Town Alexandria, on the corner of King & Pitt.
- Walking distance to Masonic Memorial: 2.0 mi. / 3.0 km. (take King St. Trolley).
- Shuttle: To/from Masonic Memorial; to/from DCA Airport.
5716 South Van Dorn, Alexandria, VA 22310 | (703) 922-9200
Reservations: (703) 922-9200
Ask for the front desk agent (not reservations) and the "North American Vexillological Association" group rate. Also, explore on-line or ask for special offers related to longer stays and prepayment.
- Rate: $89/night for up to four people.
- Room: Double/double or single room.
- Breakfast: Deluxe continental breakfast included.
- Location: Near 95/495 (Capital Beltway), 10 minutes walk to Van Dorn Metro Station.
- Distance to Masonic Memorial: 4.2 mi. / 7.0 km.—take Metro one stop to King Street Station.
- Shuttle: To/from Van Dorn Metro Station (take Metro from DCA airport).
Map key: ES = Embassy Suites LHS = Lorien Hotel & Spa HM = Hotel Monaco. The Comfort Inn is off the map to the southwest. “Southern” is the Metro and Amtrak line. Metro = King Street Metro Station
Congress participants may also find more economical options here.
The Travelodge in Alexandria is at 700 N. Washington St. at the corner of Wythe St. (one block north of Madison at the top of the map). Walking distance to Masonic Memorial: 3.0 mi. / 5.0 km. (take King St. Trolley). It may be offering rooms for $75/night. 703-836-5100 / 888-673-4859
The Youth Hostel in downtown Washington, DC, is convenient to the Metro (10 minutes’ walk from the Metro Center Station). Dormitory rooms (4-10 beds) are $29-$45/night. Private rooms (doubles) are $109. Hostelling International—Washington, DC 1009 11th Street NW, Washington, DC 20001 202-737-2333 email@example.com
Apartments to Rent. Various services offer apartments to rent (and rooms in people’s houses). For example, one nice studio in DC close to the Metro costs $623 a week. Visit this site to start your search.